Projects and Tools

Go Back   Projects and Tools > Projects General Discussions
Forums Homepage Members List

Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 AM

Default Home AC Filter Size

While researching information on an upgraded HVAC system for my house, I came across something that interested me ... a 4 ton AC system should have 800 sq. inches of inlet filter area .... my filter is a 20X25, so using my above average mathamatical skills, I concluded that I only have 500 sq. inches of inlet area ... not nearly enough .... an upgraded "air return" system will be my next project. Any thoughts on this subject will be highly appreciated in the near future.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Nat

I don't know much about HVAC, but I hope you can find a solution, should you have a problem with the air inlet size.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:56 AM

I think I'll start by swinging by Lowes and see what kind of filter housing assemblies they offer, and what size filters are easily available ... I don't want to install some monster filter housing and then struggle every time I need to buy new filters .... I might just cut me another hole and add another filter housing .... since my original one is in the hallway, I think I can add a second intake in the master bedroom .... I wonder if that would be noisey?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
I think I'll start by swinging by Lowes and see what kind of filter housing assemblies they offer, and what size filters are easily available ... I don't want to install some monster filter housing and then struggle every time I need to buy new filters .... I might just cut me another hole and add another filter housing .... since my original one is in the hallway, I think I can add a second intake in the master bedroom .... I wonder if that would be noisey?
That's what they did when they installed our new system in the Queens Victorian. I now have 3 filters to replace every month but the cooling and heating efficiency with the 2 new intakes is far superior.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:27 AM

Default HVAC Filters

HVAC filters can allow harmful particles such as pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, tobacco smoke and other contaminants to enter your house. Having an incorrect filter size is like not using a filter at all, which can have a bigger impact on your furnace and AC systems.